Rigid Gas Permeable contact lenses are a flexible – yet rigid – lens. They are sometimes referred to as GP, RGP or OP contact lenses. RGPs are made of a plastic that is firm and durable, transmits oxygen well and doesn't contain water.
Many vision care specialists recommend gas permeable contacts, particularly to patients with corneal astimatism as they offer several key benefits:
- Improved Vision: The rigid shape can result in crisper, clearer vision.
- Healthy: A smooth finish that resists bacterial build up. Good oxygen transmission to your eyes.
- Convenient: Easy to clean and disinfect. Their rigid nature also make thems easy to handle.
- Strong: More durable than soft contacts, resists tearing/scratching.
- Comfortable: Don't dehydrate easily nor do they pull water away from your eyes.
Some studies have even shown that gas permeable can potentially slow down the progression of nearsightedness (myopia), particularly in teenagers. If RGPs seem like a good solution for your contact lens needs please visit our office for a fitting today.